Great Western Lakes Sportif 2018
- The 120km cycle starts at 9.00 am
- 85/65k cycle starts at 9.30am
No going early if you are riding the shorter distances, the Sportive starts from Western Lakes cycling centre, Kilmaine Rd, Ballinrobe.
This event is to commemorate club officer John Cummins, the sportive will divert so that we pass his family business on NEW St
Charity: Western Lakes will be donating proceeds to CROI for the vast work they do in promoting a healthy heart.
Sign on times
- Sign on and registration is open from 7.30am on Sunday April 21st , Please bring your Cycling Ireland license or else pay the €5 fee if you don’t have it, this covers insurance
- Please leave plenty of time to get to the event sign on as there will be a lot of traffic around the area.
There is amble parking near the cycling centre at Walsh’s engineering and the DPD carparks. Follow instructions of stewards.
What you get at sign-on:
You will receive:
- Your event number for helmet which can also be used to gain access to the event start area and at the food stops.
- Event map and emergency contact number (not to be used for punctures)
Event car parking
There are free car parking provided for participants around the Cycling centre and at Carparks near by, please don’t park on the main road.
Note: There is no set down area or parking at the start/finish area! Please park in the designated areas and cycle to the start area.
Please respect the residents of Ballinrobe and do not block access to any of the commercial premises in the town.
NB: The GWLS Cycle is not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
- There will be Western Lakes members in high vis advising you to cycle safely so please heed their direction they are called the cycle POLICE.
- You are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others on the road.
- No more than 2 abreast when cycling in a group to facilitate passing cars
- The routes selected for GWLS are on quiet roads but you will encounter some traffic and road junctions.
- There are a few MAJOR junctions where you MUST STOP before proceeding.
- Great Western Lakes Sportif Orange direction signs will be placed throughout the route.(see below)
- Marshals will be visible on the route, but remember that they are only there to assist. It is your responsibility to check for traffic at junctions.
- No earphones permitted
- No tri bars permitted
- The last 1km of all routes coming back into Ballinrobe will be neutralised, so everyone will have to slow down. Look out for signs!!!
- Cyclists should be prepared as weather conditions on the course can change and you should bring the right type of clothing to keep warm such as a waterproof warm jacket.
- Only cycle as fast as your ability allows, be careful on the descends and any open windy sections.
You are responsible for your bike and helmet at food stops so be vigilant and mind your gear. Bike thieves do operate at some events so maybe considering bringing a lock with you to secure your items.
There will be a people available for any last minute issues on Sunday morning outside the building.
Remember: You are responsible for taking part on a safe and suitable bike.
Official 85km GWLS route
65km GWLS route option (If you are tired by Tourmakeady and do not want to cycle over Ail Duil or Mamean mountain take left turn at bottom of Maam trasna, this route is known locally as the Lap of the Mask https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27851970
Map of the routes
The signs you will use to navigate the course look like this:
Event food stops
Food stops on the 120k route:
There are 2 food stops which are located at:
53k Twanyard at the look out point 300m down Shreffrey Mtn (fruit and water)
89k Maam, Keane's bar (Sandwiches, Tea and Coffee)
Food stops on the 85/65k routes:
There are 2 stops for the 85km route which is located at: at 33k just over top of Maam Trasna Hill, Keane’s Bar Maam at 62k
We recommend you also bring also your own supply of cycling gels, bars and drinks.
Emergency medical and/or mechanical assistance
If you have difficulty on the course that STOPS you from completing the course or if you are involved in an accident or if you come across an accident please call either of the numbers below:
If you puncture DO NOT ring this number (You must BYO)
What to bring with you on the cycle
Your bike must be in good working order to cycle either routes:
- Helmet (No helmet no cycle!)
- Water bottle(s)
- Spare tubes/Puncture repair kit/Bike tools/Pump
- Mobile phone/Cash/Identification
- Energy snacks/Food
- Wind/Rainproof top
- Sun tan lotion (its promised very warm)
The finish line
No matter which route you choose you will all come back into Ballinrobe Via the Clonbur road where you will see a finish line and flags from here back to the cycling centre is neutralized so progress slowly.
Neutralised area means (so you must reduce your speed cycle cautiously).
Please be careful and vigilant as Ballinrobe can be very busy.
After you cross the finish line the following will be available:
Showers are provided at Lakeside Leisure centre, Station road Ballinrobe to all participants.
Post event catering
There will be hot food and refreshments at the finish area and even ICECREAM !!!
And finally we hope you enjoy the event
Overall we expect everyone to be blown away by the scenery en route, Ballinrobe is in the heart of the Lake district and with gems like the Partry mountains, the Maamturks, Twelve bens, Lough Mask, Killary Fjord, Joyce country and all the a spectacular scenery that Mayo and Galway has to offer so we hope you enjoy it and hang around the town.
REMEMBER KEEP THE TOWN AND COUNTRYSIDE CLEAN PUT YOUR WRAPPERS IN YOUR POCKET OR USE THE LITTER DUMP AREAS AT THE FOOD STOPS!!!