Western Lakes Cycling Club Ladies Sportive 2017
In Aid of NCIB Centre Athlone
Registration times & Location
Date: Saturday 15th July
Location: Western lakes Cycling Centre, Kilmaine Road Ballinrobe
Registration: 08:30 to 09:45
Start time: 10:00
Entrance fee: €25
Please leave plenty of time to get to the cycling centre and for registration and pre-Sportive briefing.
What you need at sign on
- Your Cycling Ireland licence.
- A One day Cycling Ireland Licence is available on the day for €5.
- Your Entrance fee.
Event car parking
There is free car parking provided at the cycling centre.
What to bring with you on the Sportive
Your bike must be in good working order to cycle the Sportive.
You are also recommended to bring the following with you on the Sportive.
- Helmet (Compulsory, No helmet No cycle!)
- Water bottle(s)
- Spare tubes/Pump
- Mobile phone / Cash / Identification.
- Rainproof top and/or Suntan lotion (It is Ireland after all)
The route will be signed at all major junctions.
All major junctions will be marshalled.
Event Food Stop
There will be 1 food stop during the Sportive which is located at just past Tourmakeedy At Maire Luke’s bar.
Tea, Coffee, Sandwiches, Cake, Buns, fruit and water will be provided at the food stop.
Cycle nutrition / Accessories shop
Marrey Bikes, Ballinrobe will have a stall at registration. They will also be selling cycling accessories in case you forget anything.
Marrey Bikes, Ballinrobe will be on hand to resolve any last minute mechanical issues on the morning of the Sportive. Remember: You are responsible for ensuring your bike is safe and in good working order.
- The Western Lakes Ladies Sportive is not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
- You are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others on the road.
- Western Lakes Ladies Sportive is a leisure cycle and not a race.
- Cycle no faster than your ability or weather conditions allow, the West of Ireland is known for strong gusty winds.
- Cycle no more than 2 abreast when cycling in a group to facilitate passing cars.
- The route selected for The Western lakes ladies Sportive is on quiet roads but you will encounter some traffic and road junctions.
- Marshals will be visible on the route, but remember that they are only there to assist. It is your responsibility to check for traffic at junctions.
- Cyclists should be prepared as weather conditions on the Sportive can change and you should bring the right type of clothing to keep warm and dry such as a waterproof warm jacket.
- No earphones permitted on the Sportive
- No Tri bars permitted on the Sportive
Emergency Medical and/or Mechanical assistance
If you have difficulty on the Sportive that STOP’S you from completing the course or if you are involved in an accident or if you come across an accident please call the emergency numbers provided.
There will be an Order of Malta supporting the Sportive.
There will also be a neutral service car available to fix any mechanical issues or punctures you may have during the Sportive.
There will be a number of Western Lakes male cyclists taking part on the day to offer encouragement, guidance and assistance along the way if required.
In the event that you feel unable to finish the Sportive for any reason there will be a Broom Van available to bring both you and your bike to the finish line.
The Finish Line
The Western Lakes Sportive starts and finishes at the Western lakes cycling centre.
Showers are provided at the Lakeside Sports and Fitness Centre which is situated across the road from the cycling centre.
Post Sportive Nourishment.
Refreshments will be available at Inches bar on main street Ballinrobe after the sportive. Please join us after toe sportive for some refreshments.
On behalf of Western Lakes Cycling Club and the NCBI we thank you for taking part in this years ladies sportive. We hope everyone enjoys this ladies Sportive and are blown away by the scenery en-route. Mayo is known as the adventure capital of Ireland and with gems like Tourmakeady, Maumtrasna, Finny, Clonbur, Lough Na Fooey, Partry Mountains, Joyce Country and Lough Mask, it’s a spectacular tour of what Mayo and North Galway has to offer so we hope you enjoy it.