Mayo cycling league 2014
The local racing scene kicks back into life with the commencement of the Mayo League. Last year the young sprinter from Castlebar, Karl Benson, won the league by winning 3 of out the 9 rounds. This league has become a hotspot for young riders to showcase their talents and put a few seniors to shame in the process! But don’t think the youths had it all their own way, Padraig Marrey and Chris Troy (both definitely in the Vets category) both showed there was still life in the old dog by finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively.
In the ladies category Noreen O Toole with 5 wins blazed to the ladies category title. This is a growing area of the sport and hopefully we should see even great numbers of Ladies taking part next year.
Castlebar CC rode strongly all year to take the team title from Wesport Covies and Western Lakes.
Again this year the league is broken into a few different disciplines. There will be 6 road races, 1 hill climb, 1 flat TT and after a being a major success last year the Team Time Trial is included again.
The league runs from the 2nd of April until the 30th of July and this year for the 1st time you can sign up online.
Senior: €60 for 8 races (€10 per race on the night)
Junior: €40 for 8 races (€6 per race on the night)
U16: €30 for 8 races (€5 per race on the night)
1. Wed 2nd Apr – TT – 16k – 6.30pm – Westport
2. Wed 16th Apr – RR – Mass start – 40k 7.00pm – Ballinrobe
3. Wed 30th Apr – RR – H/Cap 40K – 7.00pm – Ballina
4. Wed 7th May – RR – Mass start 50K – 7.15pm – Ballaghdereen
5. Wed 28th May – RR – H/Cap 50K – 7.15pm – Swinford
6. Wed 11th June – RR – Mass start 50K – 7.15pm – Cong
7. Wed 18th Jun – RR – H/Cap 50K – 7.15pm – Ballyhanuis
8. Wed 2nd July – HC – 7K – 7.15pm – Castlebar
9. Wed 30th Jul – TTT – 40K – 7.15pm – Westport